small snippets of inspiring things.

24.11.09

Boys, boys, boys.

I feel at the moment as though boys are caring less and less about what they wear.

I'm unsure whether this is an across-the-board movement, or if it is more of a Sydney-stand, but it's bad, and seemingly getting worse by the minute. So in trying to figure out what the hell is going on inside their heads, I put my detective badge on (because I don't suit hats.)

I know we all have different tastes, and I think we have established this in recent blog posts. However, in thinking about the lack of care in what boys are sporting at the moment, I feel I have another revelation in my tall poppy idea, which I spoke about in my "Chanel, please" post, about a week ago.

I thought girls were the only ones affected by the notion of this 'fashion tall poppy' idea. Wrong.

I'm thinking it actually impacts more on the boys.

I was speaking to a good girlfriend of mine the other day, who has good taste (in my opinion, if that counts). This dear friend has been with her boyfriend for close to a year now. As we have all been girlfriend's at a point, I don't need to explain that we have complete license to politely [or not so politely, dependent on your power] 'suggest' clothing that these poor misguided boys may previously have overlooked. So, in doing her fashionable girlfriend duty, this girl got her boyfriend wearing some pretty great blazers. The best thing in this situation is that the boy quite enjoys her choices. Everybody wins. Thing is, when he wears these clothes, he is the subject of ridicule by his friends. Okay, so maybe "subject of ridicule" is a bit drastic, but his friends do laugh at his choices. They also tag his blazers in photos on Facebook. Ouch. So it appears everybody doesn't win, because although this boy likes his new clothes, he prefers to wear them around his girlfriend and her friends only. They, on the other hand, compliment his new purchases. Everybody happy again.

The thing that frustrates me more than anything is the access boys have to good clothes. You can easily buy a good pair of shorts or a t-shirt for about $30 if you are a boy. I saw a pair of shorts in a cheap shop the other night that were cream denim with a thin red pinstripe. I died a little bit at the thought of a boy wearing these with a soft blue shirt, and some thongs or slip ons. Good look. Apparently not. According to my taken girlfriends, if they dressed their boys in this get-up, they would be told by their loving friends they looked like a "homo"... Huh?!

I am thinking that boys are actually 'taller' poppy's than girl's in these situations. Girls who are truly confident and passionate about their wacky wears, will cop any looks or banter on the chin, and wear their clothes with pride regardless. Boys, though - different story.

It should also be noted that while the girlfriend dressing the boyfriend is an example, this is not the only scenario where the tall poppy situation can occur. I have exes who own some great clothes, but they were a part of the "going on a date with my girlfriend" wardrobe, not the "beers with mates" wardrobe.

So I am wondering, what attributes separate the boys who are willing to give new outfits a shot, and the boys who insist on tearing down these choices?

Hmm.. Puzzling.


2 comments:

  1. Love it Scherini. That guy must be a lucky guy. I'm sure though he has been wearing them around his friends copping it on the chin. I think they must all be jealous, i know it actually!

    I know my limits though, i definitely won't let my gf put a scarf on me. Ill let the wankers wear that. But i do agree on the beers with mates wardrobe and gf date wardrobe, which is fair enough though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally LOVE a man in a scarf. No really, I think it's the sexiest thing a man can wear.

    Aside of course, from a badge of honesty.

    ReplyDelete