small snippets of inspiring things.

22.11.09

Chanel, please.


























I have a confession..

I love European winters... I have discovered this very recently, and I believe its a justified love, so before you put a hit out on me, please, let me explain..

I am in deep, undying love with the Chanel Fall Collection. The frilled cuffs and neck pieces melt my heart in all their Victorian-slash-crazed-clown aesthetics. The biggest killer for me in this situation is that in Sydney, I will never, ever be able to wear these. (Obviously, number one is because I cant afford them, but for the sake of this argument, lets just pretend they are sitting in my room. Okay?)

You see, Sydney fashion doesn't allow for this type of rich, classic dressing. Sydney is about flashing skin, a golden tan, and a great pair of heels.. And I love this about our city, however when you see amazing suits adorned with these pieces coming down the runway, you can't help but wish that our Sydney, was a little bit [sorry to say it] more refined, or classy, or open to new looks like this.

To Sydney's credit, I blame the weather. It isn't Sydney's fault that we dress the way we do. It is just so hot, all the time. Even in winter, you can easily get away with a bare leg, because it is all of about 15 degrees. While this is all good for us Sydney-siders, there is something very sexy about real winter-dressing. It is a classic look for both men and women - and in my belief, a harder one to master than the Sydney skin-show.

To the population of Sydney's discredit, I also blame our lack of originality in dressing on ourselves, and each other. We are tall poppy's. I have had this conversation with my girlfriends millions of times. As a city, we like to think we are cultured, and cool, and open to all kinds of looks, and music, and art. Well, we aren't. We appreciate fashion, but we don't really like anyone to move too far out of the Sydney 'look' - otherwise they will be torn down (something Sydney-siders have mastered). The unspoken Sydney rule is that you may be fashionable (yes, this is allowed), but do not try and be too creative. Do not be too colourful, and do not, ever dress wacky. This is why my Chanel cuffs and neck piece will never been seen on anyone in this city. Shame, really.

I could vent about this tall poppy thing for hours. Seriously. This said, I think you understand what I am saying, because you, like every other Sydney-sider are guilty of it.

So, I propose that in the coming days, weeks, and even months (if you can stand it), that you be more open to the wacky within all of us. If you see a man in knee-high striped socks, high five him instead of giving him that tear-you-down Sydney look. If everyone could be more like him, I think Sydney would be a much more interesting place. Don't you?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with winter fashion being sexy. Its definitely more classy then the sometimes slutty mini skirt with high heels. Some girls should know that sporting a sexy pair of boots, over jeans with a nice top and scarf mmm mmmm!!! Nice Blog keep it up. Our blogs are so different.

    ReplyDelete